Delivering Happiness - Contest at the end!


So I have been getting tons of questions (okay, so maybe one) about how I got to review the new book Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos. Truth be told, I wish we were friends, because as mentioned in this book, he throws rockin’ parties. And you all know how I love a good party. But I really found out about the book on a blog somewhere and visited the website Delivering Happiness and signed up for the chance to give an honest review of the book. The fun part was that like Zappos who loves to surprise and delight their customers, sent an extra copy of the book to give away to one of my blog readers. So, yay you guys!

Because book reviews can be kind of staid, I will give you my version of the review.

What Tony (we are on a first name basis…we are practically bffs now) and I have in common:

1- Tony attended Harvard. Technically I have been to Harvard…if a campus tour counts.

2- Tony was a millionaire by age 25. (Before Zappos, he sold the company he founded, Link Exchange – they basically created - like, created created - banner ads – to Microsoft for $265 million in 1998.) I am 30 and a thousandnaire.

3- Tony built his business around customer service. I LOVE good customer service.

4- Tony is a little “weird.” (It is a Zappos core value.) I consider myself to be quirky.

5- Tony loves to play poker. Tommy loves to play poker. I like to have a girl’s night while Tommy plays poker.

6- Tony’s goal with this book is to find a way to bring happiness to yourself and others. I am a pretty happy person.

Burning questions I still have. Tony, can you send me some answers?

1- One of the founders, Nick, was mentioned in the beginning…I have no idea where he went. Maybe I missed that part?

2- At the beginning of the book, Tony talked about his first businesses. One of which was a button making business that his two brothers took over when he went to college. I would love to know what his brothers do today.

3- There was a lot of mention of friend relationships, but I am dying to know if Tony has a significant someone. (Not for me, I am already taken.)

Why I loved this book:

1- This book would make my entrepreneurship idol, Donny Deutsch, so proud. Tony takes you through EVERYTHING about starting the business. The whole back story, the pain, the suffering, the hard work, the sleepless nights, money running out --- well, everything. You can really feel his passion for the company and from a reader’s perspective, there is a lot of drama.

2- It was an easy read. I read it in about two nights and was one that I didn’t want to put down. You cannot say that about too many business books.

3- There was something for everyone. Even if you just aren’t that into the idea of starting you own business, the book is motivational, educational and gives you great insight on how to live a more purposeful life.

I would love for you guys to win a copy of this book! To win, please leave a comment telling me if you could do anything in the world for a living, what you would do? (Also, if you don’t have a blog, please leave me your email address so I can contact you if you are the biggest winner.) I will randomly pick the winner on Friday, June 11th.

Also, to purchase the book online, click here.

Good luck!

Comments

  1. If I could do anything for a living? Well, I would have to guess that I would like to be a Professional Lottery Winner Philanthropist who moonlights as an Animal Rescue Owner all the while serving as an inspiration of living even with my slightly over-active metabolism; all the while being a great wife and mom, of course. Since I haven't seen that post on Monster.com as of late, I will stick to my day job.

    Really, I love my job now. It is like 1950's called and wants it's aprons back. Nothing makes me happier than taking care of Luke, Alex and the puppies. Not for everyone, but I love it. Stresses me the heck out at times, but wouldn't trade it for all the hyper-thyoid pills.

    Can't wait to read the book! I know Luke will enjoy it too. It will make our trip to the beach for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could do anything...I would be a personal shopper. But it could only be for nice people. I don't take kindly to being bossed around. And, of course, they would buy me pretty things as well :)

    That sounds shallow, but if I "had" to work instead of stay home with my perfect little hypothetical family, that is what I'd like to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. right this very minute I am trying to decide what curtains I should put in my dining room...so my dream job today would be an interior designer...it is something I absolutely cannot do...I have no skills in that area whatsoever...and admire people that do!

    Truly though...my dream job would be not to work at all!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to top Janie's answer! I would love to be the host of Uncorked or Three Sheets, I mean who doesn't want to get paid to travel the world and drink all day? A job that might be a little more feasible for my current thirty something lifestyle would be to own a children's book store. I would just love to have my very own The Shop Around the Corner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to be an architect when i grow up.

    PBoots@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to own a successful and profitable cooking school for everyone who loves to cook....from age 3 to adult! A place with lovely kitchen gadgets and herbs and spices and a coffee bar with magazines and cookbooks to peruse while sipping a nice espresso or latte.

    Okay.....I do!!! Working really hard on the "profitable" part!
    I may just have to break down and purchase the book because it sounds like I'm going through some of the same growing pains that he did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, I am doing my dream job! Never really "dreamed" about it before, but now that I'm doing it I love it! I own an online children's boutique. Started on a whim 3+ years ago and now continues to grow into a sucessful enjoyable business! However, I still have LOTS to learn so this book sounds very interesting! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always dreamed about doing humanitarian work. I'd love to be able to help the less fortunate. This book looks great! stef4916 @ yahoo. com

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I could do anything I'd have to say be an ice cream test taster! ;)
    janel_marie at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree with Megan-how could you top Janie's answer! While I absolutely love my current job as Fin's "mam" (that's my shout out to Jane) I would love to work for the food network. I would be happy to do anything there and get paid to eat and travel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to own a bakery! I just haven't figured out how I'd keep myself from sampling everything first.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally forgot to enter this! I would like Brook Burke's old job of hosting Wild On on E! :)

    Bwaaahhhahaa!

    Seriously. Get to travel all over the world, eat yummy food, have a personal trainer and stylist with you at all times, etc. I'm sure my family would disown me and I'm sure I would squabble every day with the producers on what is NOT appropriate and why I won't just walk around city streets in my bikini, but it would be fun!

    Okay, fine, I'm totally too prudish for this job, but it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I could do anything, I would write reviews for a travel magazine for vacations/activites. Free travel at the best spots in the world, you can't beat it. I would also love to work at the Today Show.

    katie.ernzen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to be a photographer. Of course, I'm not that creative so I don't know if it would be a very good fit for me... But I think it would be cool to know how to edit pictures really well & set my own schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I could do anything for a living, I would write a best seller and then open a cupcake store in Utica. (They need one...don't you agree?!) I would surround myself with yummy smells, crazy concoctions and beautiful creations all day! And I would absolutely have a fun little studio in the back for birthday parties and sell the stunning homemade stationary my sister creates. It would be a family affair; which, what could be better?

    Second choice...fashion executive at Carolina Herrara - for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I could do anything....I think I'd be a stay at home mom, but still mentor kids or tutor them or something. I LOVE teaching so I don't think I could NOT teach. I wish I could just teach like half a day and then spend the rest of my days with my baby. I can honestly say I'm happy with my career choice. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts