The quest for beautiful hair

Apparently, all the rage in the hair styling world is a little product called Moroccan Oil. As someone who has never colored their hair and probably goes to the hair dresser on average 3 times a year, this was a new concept. I read about it on the blog The Roaring Twenties (a fellow Tulsan whose blog I just found) and my tri-annual haircut was coming up, so I asked Vanessa, my stylist, about it.

Basically, Moroccan Oil makes your hair shinier, less dry and pretty much fabulous. I was lucky enough to get a free sample, which I have used for four days, so I wanted to share my findings with you. (This is all very scientific.)

This is the brand I am using because that is the sample she had on-hand. So I can only speak to this particular one. Though, I think they are all pretty much the same thing.

My hair type: I have had the same basic hair cut since about age 9. (I would say before that, but at age 3 or 4 I cut my own hair, which resulted in the worst haircut of my life – think bowl cut – and I got a perm back in 3rd grade.) It is straight, pretty shiny, but will be “fluffy/frizzy” if I don’t dry it and run a curling iron through it.

How to use it: Just take a little (pea size amount) and put it through your hair after washing, but before drying. I don’t put it on my roots.

On a scale from 1 – 10:

Shininess: 8
I would say my hair is a little more shiny, though no one has commented on it yet. I am sure I will hear about it any second…

Dryness: 8
My hair is naturally not dry. I am definitely not one of those people who can just wash my hair every other day. I have experienced fewer flyaways since using.

Smell: 3
More Aveda, less Biolage. I prefer to smell like clean clothes over “natural.” However, my mom and Vanessa loved the smell. So I guess it is just personal preference.

Pretty much fabulousness: 6
I will be honest, I think it has helped my hair, but I don’t necessarily need it to be more shiny or less dry. If I had free samples, I would continue to use it, but don’t think I will go out of my way to buy it. However, if you do have dry hair, I think it would be a great buy. Based on the amount you need to use, the bottle would probably last 6 months – to a year.

Other thoughts: I did take a nap this weekend (it was too cold to do anything else) and my hair did look pretty good after laying on it. Also, I think I might be able to get away with not running a curling iron through it as my straightener, but never tried.

Let me know if you guys use the oil and what your thoughts are! Am I the only one who had never heard of this???

Comments

  1. This is the first time I'm hearing of this product. My hair seems to be a lot like yours (not too dry, and fairly shiny) so I'm not sure it'd be something I'd use, but I'd probably give it a shout out to some of my dry-and-less-shiny-haired friends. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely need to try this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last week-end I tried a new "upscale" salon, and they had signs in the windows, on the shelves, everywhere for Moroccan Oil products. I didn't buy any of that product; however, the stylist did say my hair looked "dull," and I mentioned that it was thinning. (You can tell that I am one of your few senior citizen followers!!) So she persuaded me to try a new $40 shampoo "treatment" that is not only supposed to make my hair shiny, but also it should stimulate growth. It sounds too good to be true, doesn't it?! I'll let you know what happens.
    Love, Aunt Angie P.S. Your hair has always been beautiful and shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Addie and some of our other Edmond friends use it. People seem to rave about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use it!! But only because my mom (who is a hairstylist) brought me some this fall.. and I like it! She just said it was a big trend right now and to use it on your ends when wet to help your hair dry faster and be smooth when dry. So I use it. And I like it. But when my little bottle runs dry, I probably won't continue unless she shows up with another free bottle. :)
    BTW- Your hair looks sooooo shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been using Moroccan Oil for awhile & I love it. My hair is very thick & a little dry, so it really helps. In fact, I can just blow dry & it looks decent without having to use my straightener. I've never been able to do that before! I'm definitely a fan...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Moroccan oil!! I'm a product junkie though and always think it's worth the extra $ to have shiny, fab hair! lol! I don't share $ details with my husband. haha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts