Life is full of ups and downs

Today’s post was going to be fun with bumpdates, cute ways I told people that the baby was a girl, etc. Instead, with a heavy heart I am mourning the loss of my sweet dog, Pudge. Isn’t life funny like that? A great day, then a not so great one.

For those of you with animals, you can understand the special bond that you have with your first “baby.” Pudge has been with us for ten years. He is how Tommy proposed to me, the source of many, many laughs and a great big brother to his dog brother, Carter.

And, honestly, I can never read people’s posts honoring their sweet deceased furry companions, so I understand if no one reads this post, I understand. It is just too hard.

Anyone who knew Pudge would definitely say he was a gentle giant. He loved people. Loved them. And everyone who knew Pudge loved him (with the exception of Tommy’s grandmother…but I will chalk that up to her not being a dog person).

Of course, with every loss (and dog) there are so many lessons:

1- Spend more time with the those you love.

2- Have boundless enthusiasm for those around you.

3- Seek to love unconditionally.

I am trying to find the positive in our loss. Pudge was 100% fine last night, then got sick during the night and we were beyond shocked when he didn’t wake up this morning. (Understatement of the century.) The vet said that because of his age (10) and size (95 pounds), he just died of natural causes.

We will always miss our first sweet baby.

But we feel very blessed for the time we had with him.

Pudge, you are so very missed. We love you.

Comments

  1. Oh no! I am so sorry! This hurts my heart. You were blessed to have him and I know you guys gave him a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. Our pets truly are everything to us, and I can't imagine the pain you are going through. Continue to smile and treasure every memory. My thoughts are with you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This breaks my heart for you Katie. I'm so so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry! My heart just breaks for you all! I just honestly cannot imagine! Praying for some peace for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pudge will be greatly missed! I loved him so much - he was the closest thing I've ever had to owning a dog. Andy and I will always have very fond memories of him :)

    We love you guys!!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just heartbroken for you guys, Katie. Pudge was the sweetest, most gentle little puppy there ever was. It is such tough loss. I'll be thinking of you guys & I know Jock is showing Pudge the ropes in heaven.

    Big hugs to you, Tommy & Carter!!
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Katie. I'm so sorry:( my heart just broke a little for you. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my little Lucy who's only 7. They do love so unconditionally, don't they?? I wish I could give you a hug. Dogs are such a part of the family. So full of love! Just know he is enjoying doggy heaven and waiting for you:)

    I hope you've read The Art of Racing in the Rain:) It's a great read.

    Sending you my love & condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart just breaks for you. Pudge was a gorgeous dog. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Katie! I am so sorry for you and Tommy's loss. It was so evident how much you loved Pudge. I'm thankful for the 10 years you had with him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry friend. I remember meeting him for the first time on the fourth of July! He was the cutest pup. I also remember when I came to go on a walk with you and pudge escaped... Im sorry but I've never laughed so hard! Little you running after this huge black dog yelling, PUDGE!!! He was so friendly and loving and that big tail that liked to wack ya!!! I took Bella bean to the vet yesterday and her cancer has spread. Vet doesn't think she has much longer :( so sad these transitions we are forced to make sometimes.
    Xoxo, iris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Katie,
    I've so very sorry to hear about your loss of Pudge. I know how much you and Tommy loved him, and you did a very fitting tribute post to him. I will be praying for you as you mourn the loss of your sweet friend.
    Love, Aunt Angie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so so very sorry friend!!!! I can't even imagine!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Katie, I am so sorry about Pudge. That is heartbreaking. I know he was such a sweet dog for you guys. I am thinking about you, Tommy and Carter (and baby bee).

    Katie Ernzen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry for your loss. Our pets are truly part of our family. My heart aches for you as I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I too lost my dog of 12 years the day after I found out the gender of our first daughter. From the highest of highs to the lowest of lows. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Katie, I'm so sorry. Pudge was such a sweet, wonderful dog. I'm feeling for you guys today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Katie. :( I saw Brian's post last night...I am so, so sorry and only today realized he'd tagged YOU in the post. I went "wait, that was KATIE'S dog?" I'm glad he's in doggie heaven, lively as a young pup again. You have one excellent guardian doggie angel watching over you and your little girl, that's for sure. Sending many hugs, prayers and love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Katie, I'm so sorry to hear that. Breaks my heart :( But I'm sure he's living it up in doggie heaven! Thinking of you..

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very sorry for your loss. I put myself in your shoes and my heart breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Katie, you've been on my mind a lot today! We saw a wedding on the beach and we're in Santa Rosa - cant believe your wedding was 6 yrs ago! Hope you, Tommy and Carter are doing okay. I'm just so sorry. Love you! Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts