What I’m Reading Wednesday

I read quite a bit. And when I say “read” I really mean I listen to books on tape. Same thing, right?

Right now I am actually reading a book on my kindle. This is Jen Lancaster’s first  novel (the others have been autobiographies) and it has not disappointed so far.  Her writing style reminds me so much of my friend Janie, so I definitely get a good laugh every time I read her books.

I just downloaded two books to my phone from the library.  (For more on how to do that, read this post. I am in love.)  However, I just found out that Amazon has a subscription service called audible that you can do the same thing if you aren’t in the Tulsa area.  There is a 3-month intro rate of  $7.50 and then it is $12 a month after that.  They have more options than the library, but I haven’t bitten the bullet and subscribed yet.

My picks for this week were actually biographies/autobiographies.  I haven’t gotten those in awhile. My last one was actually Paula Deen’s autobiography. The funny thing about her is that she is a smoker with a potty mouth. Who knew?

I was intrigued about this one on Oprah.  I honest to goodness used to be her number one fan. I got all of the email alerts, watched EVERY show, watched the tv biographies, etc. After going to her show I just didn’t feel like she was the same person as we saw on television. I am curious to know if my gut feeling was right or not. 

The next book, ironically, I became interested in after seeing President Bush on Oprah’s Behind the Scenes show (do you guys watch???  It is seriously fascinating. You definitely see a different side of Oprah than you do on tv.) Anyway, the way he described what actually happened with Hurricane Katrina made me have so much more perspective in the fact that we really don’t know what is going on behind the scenes.

If you missed the interview, he talks about how when Hurricane Katrina happened he wanted to send troops down to New Orleans.  However, the governor has to declare a state of emergency in order for troops to be sent.  Behind the scenes there was a power struggle going on between the governor and New Orleans’ mayor.  He could have still sent troops down, but they would have to be unarmed and he didn’t want to send unarmed troops when the reports were that there was complete chaos in New Orleans.  Finally, there was a state of emergency request sent and that is when the troops came in.

I guess the moral of the story is that things sometimes are not as straight forward as they seem…or what the media makes them out to be.

I just finished these books:

This book was cute and an “easy read.” (Can you still call it that when you listen to it on tape?)  I have read two other books by the author – Shoe Addicts Anonymous and Secret of a Shoe Addict.  It was similar to those, so if you have read those you can kind of guess what happens.

I had heard about this book on several blogs. I didn’t read anything about it, but heard it was cute. I thought it was “meh” at best. I finished it, but was bored and not really feeling it. However, all of that said, I think I would be friends with the author in real life.

I liked this book. The library has A LOT of Jane Green books and they are all easy, enjoyable, light reads. This book is about a girl who is trying to get pregnant with her boyfriend, but can’t.  She decides to take a break from him and moves to NYC. They both find someone new in the meantime and….the rest is history.

This is probably going to be blasphemy to a lot of you, but a few months ago I tried to start the Hunger Games. I heard it was as good as the Twilight series. And you know I loved me some Twilight.  Um, I HATED this book. I honestly couldn’t get past chapter 2. What the hell was going on?  It was freaking weird. (I know. And vampires aren’t?)  I will definitely not be waiting in line for this movie.

Okay, so what are you guys reading and any recommendations?

Comments

  1. Two words: The Help. Incredible. (OK that was three)

    ReplyDelete
  2. KA-TIE!!!!

    I barely ever read books, ok never..(I know horrible) and I couldn't put the Hunger Games down. I read all 3 books in 10 days. World Record. I read like one book every 3 years :) You should maybe try to pick up on chapter 3 its sooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just impressed by all the reading you do!! I don't know why I still can't find the time to read, but I must work on that.
    Love, Aunt Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choices, Kate. You and I are always right on par with our reading choices, and I totally agree with your pics! I was actually worried when I saw the Mennonite book thinking "Oh, no! What is Katie thinks this was hilarious!?!? What will happen? What will we do?!?" While there were certainly funny parts, I also agreed that is fell a little flat. So, crisis averted! We can still be Book Buddies!

    PS: We were still wronged.

    jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also loved "The Help." And you must give The Hunger Games another chance. They are a little weird at the first while you are finding your bearings, but then they. are. awesome. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My all time favorite books are Gravity by Tess Gerritson
    Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
    Shark Trouble - Peter Benchly
    Almost Adam - Petru Popescu
    I am now reading Ann Patchett's books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you know, our reading tastes could not be more different! Paula Deen smokes? I think it's crazy that she was an agoraphobic and is now on tv. I cannot wait to read the Hunger Games, it's on my short list...did you even read Harry Potter? I've been reading a lot of books with Holocaust themes, the current one being Sarah's Key which is a soon to be released movie.

    I miss my audio books...stupid CD player!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been halfway through mennonite in a little black dress for a year now... glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks it's Meh.. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excited you posted about this! Okay, so I LOVED The Hunger Games, but oddly I don't recommend it to too many people. I hardly ever read contemporary literature because I was a high school English teacher and I was pushing my favorites - the classics - so I had to be totally up-to-date on them!(sort of an oxymoron there) Anyway - I had a ton of my teacher friends tell me about this book, but honestly, it is NOT for everyone. It is a great, creative and don't-put-it-down kind of read, but SUPER DUPER violent. I had bad dreams - very bad dreams while reading it. Only other book that has made me have bad dreams was "Lucky" (no italics on this here comment board) by Alice Sebold - true story and very intense.
    As far as what I am reading...Decision Points. I have liked it in that it is very interesting, and you hit the nail on the head - it's crazy what we have no idea about. So, despite being a very anti-Obama voter and American, I gotta give the guy a little slack...he has a flipping hard job, one I'd never want.
    I love all of your suggestions! I'd really like to read the Oprah book too. I loved her forever, but I do think she is pretty much completely out of touch with the real world. I would love to hear more about how your perspective of her changed after visiting her show.
    I would recommend (and yes, you can get it on tape) Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. It is a contemporary classic (as I like to call it). It is a beautifully written story and has some of those lines inside its pages that you write down and hang up somewhere you always see them. Breathtaking story. (Sorry this is such a long comment...I love books. Love 'em.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts